Saturday, March 22, 2014

An igloo and disco ball in Charlottesville, VA



On 3/20-21/14, I had the privilege of speaking at four schools in lovely Charlottesville, VA:

  • Stone-Robinson Elementary
  • Baker-Butler Elementary
  • Agnor-Hurt Elementary
  • Sutherland Middle

This school district obviously has a thing for hyphens.

And flair.

Baker-Butler had on display an actual size igloo ingeniously made by librarian Anita Mays and a partner…out of empty milk containers.




They followed the procedure as described in the 1981 book propped up on the black cube (only subbing gallon jugs for snow bricks). They also turned the installation into a teaching moment, as seen by the question posed on the whiteboard.

Speaking of ingenious, Baker-Butler also showcased a 2nd grade art project involving two notable artists. This is one mashup I’d not seen before, and I think it’s wonderful.



Sutherland was holding a school event immediately following my afternoon presentation. Spot the clue:



Answer:

You can tell by the way I use my walk 
Im in middle school
No time to talk

Thank you to the four librarians who hosted me, and to the Virginia Festival of the Book for arranging the visits.

No comments: