Saturday, June 14, 2014

“Wonder Woman” theme singer interview (2 of 2): Julia Waters


How old were you when you sang on the theme song for season 1 of Wonder Woman?

A lady never tells her age!

What else were you doing professionally at the time?

Along with my family, I was busy doing other session work: records, movies, commercials, and other television sitcoms.


Julia (top left), 1970s

Where were you living at the time?

Los Angeles.

How were you hired?

John Bähler was the contractor for the session and he hired me along with Marti [McCall] and Carolyn [Willis].

Were you a Wonder Woman fan?

I loved Wonder Woman. Before the TV show, I enjoyed reading the comic books of superheroes: Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman.

Any funny stories from the recording?

I don’t recall any funny stories. I just remember having a good time working with the other singers.

What did you think of the song?

I liked the song and still do.

What did you think of the show?

I enjoyed the show. I liked the idea of a woman superhero.

Did you ever meet Lynda Carter, and if so, how was that?

Never met her.

What were you paid?

I was paid union scale; don’t recall how much that was back then. Still receive a few small residuals from the show.

What are your most cherished/funniest
Wonder Woman stories since (a reaction when someone you meet discovers you were the theme song singer, etc.)?

I don’t have any stories to tell. As I said before,
Wonder Woman was just one of the many projects that I was blessed to have sang on.

What are you doing these days?

I still stay very busy doing what I do. My family The Waters were featured in the Oscar-winning 20 Feet from Stardom. We also received the Ella Voice Award 2014 [from the] SOS (Society of Singers). Some of the most recent artists that I have work with are Adele, Pet Shop Boys, Noah and the Whale, Muse, Neil Diamond, Rod Stewart, Alfie Boe, just to name a few. I am also a member of Neil Diamond’s touring band. I feel very blessed to still find myself in the mix.



What do you consider your career highlight to date?

Still being able to work in an industry doing what I love to do—using my God-given talent to make music.

Where do you live?

I live in the Los Angeles area.

If you have kids, how many/how old and what do they think of your
Wonder Woman role?

I have one daughter. Don’t know if she has given it any thought. She is used to me doing a lot of great things.

What did you think when you first heard from me?

Don’t quite understand what you mean by the question.

Has anyone else ever interviewed about this? If so, when and for what publication?

No!

Have you appeared at any fan conventions to sign autographs? If not, would you?

No! [MTN: I suspect that refers to the first, not second, question.]

How do you look back on the experience?

To be honest with you, I looked at it as a blessing for another pay day, although I enjoyed the
Wonder Woman series. I always enjoy working on new projects.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just watched Lynda Carter interviewed on Fox an wondered who had such strong background vocals on the theme song.

Unknown said...

Those Waters are NO JOKE!!!! They have sang on SOOOOOO many projects including "Quiet Time" by Patti LaBelle. I am not surprised that she is on this track.....in fact, I AM EVEN MORE DELIGHTED as I am a HUGE FAN of this family!!!!

Ken said...

Two wonderful interviews! I have so many more questions about John Bahler! Julia Waters is a different story -- she is a known quantity. She sang on Michael Jackson's Thriller album, for chrissakes! She is the Kevin Bacon of session singing, except it's more like one degree than six. She has worked with everyone. I'm not surprised Wonder Woman is not a big claim to fame for her. I can't believe she gets residuals! Even if it's only ten cents a month, it's more than I would have guessed.

Anonymous said...

All three of them could sing!!! Julia song backup for a lot of artist. I remember Carolyn duet Get Closer with Seals & Croft. Marti singing Southern Gospel may she RIP. Would've been nice if all four of there names were listed on the credits....