Tuesday, May 27, 2014

“The Odd-Shaped Object,” an unpublished 1968 picture book

As a child, I vividly remember poring over an unpublished picture book manuscript in our family’s possession; I was especially captivated by the multicolored rug that plays into the story (but that was not The Odd-Shaped Object of the title).





The author/illustrator (whose day job was elementary school teacher) saved not only the original art but also notes for the cover letter…and a rejection letter she received in 1968.

Four years later, she would have a son who would grow up to go through similar experiences.





Eleanor Nichols, the editor who turned down my mom before she was my mom, worked at McGraw-Hill for 30 years, retiring in 1990 and passing away in 2000.

I love you, mom, for being my ongoing creative influence and so, so much more.

1 comment:

Brad Ricca said...

Aw man...something in my eye...