Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Batman doll + giant typewriter = giant conversation piece

One of the things that Bill Finger, star of Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman, was known for was including larger-than-life everyday objects in his scripts.

At BookExpo America 2010, I was thrilled to see a 10x10 foot typewriter in the booth of Abrams Books (to promote the book Monumental: The Reimagined World of Kevin O’Callaghan):


Here it is in Grand Central Terminal’s Vanderbilt Hall,

I contacted Kevin, hoping there would be an opportunity to borrow/rent his titanic typewriter for a Bill the Boy Wonder proomotional event in New York. While oversized cool, the typewriter alone would not be enough.

We’d need a Batman as well. And I knew just the one:


the Batman of the 2009 Retro-Action line of 8-inch dolls
inspired by the Mego dolls of the 1970s…AKA 68% of my childhood 

I didn’t hear back, and no such event materialized, but the vision persists in my mind.

No comments: