Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sea World superhero skier Mark Gutleben

One of the water skiers featured in my oral history of the Sea World superheroes show who could not make the reunion in 10/12 was Mark Gutleben. He’s on the West Coast and is not working due to an injury sustained decades ago.

However, I got to see him recently anyway, via this photo he sent for the holidays.



He’s a really nice guy. I hope that there is another reunion before long and that he gets to go. I think it’d be great for both him and his former skimates.

Addendum: On 12/13/15, Mark passed away. To quote fellow skier Betsy Maher: “I’m sorry he was not able to make it to either reunion. At the 2014 reunion, I was able to have everyone sign a big birthday card for him. He had made a phone call to me on Christmas Day the past few years. I will miss his call this year.

1 comment:

the searcher said...

I sure would have made him go or helped him to go if I had known about it. He was always so proud to have worked there, and he always had so much fun ! I miss my brother dearly every day and it's hard to believe I cant see him anymore. Love you Mark !!