Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Goodies in the Picnic Basket

Deborah Sloan’s blog The Picnic Basket sends 25 copies of a new book to the first 25 who request it; in exchange, she asks that those people post a review.

Recently, she kindly offered Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman.

Of the 25 copies sent, 13 people so far have come back to post a review. I am more than humbled by every one of them.

Excerpts:

I love nonfiction biographies and this book is one of the best! Nobleman is a skilled writer … It will be the rare reader who closes the book without being “wowed.” Nobleman’s Author’s Note allows the reader to glimpse his research process and it reads like a darn good mystery. … What a tribute! What a story! What a book! 5 (out of 5) stars

The story was so interesting that I couldn’t stop without reading the whole book and I would think students would feel the same way. 5 (out of 5) stars

Absolutely outstanding in all respects! Sure bet to get the attention of the most reluctant reader. Definitely a 5++++++!

The prose is beautifully written, the pictures are lovely, and the underlying themes of justice and redemption are compelling. … This is a must-have book for every elementary and middle-school library that will be gobbled up by avid and reluctant readers alike. 5 (out of 5) stars

This book is simply amazing. To think I’d actually be glued to a book about the creator—sorry, co-creator—of Batman! … completely captivating. Nobleman is a very skilled writer and knows how to find obscure stories and make them completely fascinating. This book deserves nothing less than a 5.

From the end papers to the text type to everything in between the cover and the author’s note, this falls nothing short of an exemplar model of juvenile literature. The potential for critical discourse around this book are endless. By the end of the author’s note a tear of sadness at the unfairness of it all fell from my eye to the phrase “he just didn’t live long enough.” And then I started right back at the beginning again, admiring the cover, and reading it from top to bottom. … I can only imagine how much Milton would have loved this book. 5 (out of 5) stars

I asked one of my 5th grade students who loves superheroes and graphic novels, and is an inspiring illustrator, to read it. Almost 40 minutes later he came to me and replied, “Milton Finger deserves credit.” His four words were powerful and insightful. Reading this book changed him a little bit, gave him something he didn’t have before, the same way I felt.

Great book with many uses for YA readers. … (I had this book and had to share and did not get it back until today. Too good not to pass along.)

I felt privileged to share this book with my students and uncover this special secret with them. I read this biography to my second graders in two sessions. They were mesmerized. The activity guide and discussion questions were a great resource, but I easily fit some of the themes of this book into my current curriculum/lessons that very day! 5 (out of 5) stars

I love how not one but two people almost affectionately call Bill by his given name, Milton (though he would have hated it).

No comments: