Monday, July 16, 2012

The Golden Age at San Diego Comic-Con

San Diego Comic-Con panels about Golden Age creators earned a nod on Slate, in an article by Seth Stevenson. He mentioned both I was part of:

One of the more touching themes I've noticed at Comic-Con has been the effort to grant forgotten comic book creators their due. Panel after panel has paid solemn tribute to comics legends of yore. ... There was a panel devoted to Bill Finger, the co-creator of Batman, who was denied official credit by his schmucky partner Bob Kane. Complaining that they don't expect to see Finger's name listed in the credits for the new Batman movie, the panelists urged us to give a symbolic "finger" when Kane's name appears [emphasis mine]. Another panel recounted the sad tale of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, who invented Superman but then sold the rights for $130—70 years later, this is still the subject of an ongoing lawsuit.

I was that urging panelist but the finger I suggested giving was quite literal; in fact, I provided it to attendees:



1 comment:

rachel molly said...

I don't really know what you are talking about here regarding "Golden Age" but have you heard the song Golden Age of Miracles by TV on the Radio. I highly recommend you youtube the official video. It is also covered by Phish. Its message should be embraced by all living beings because this is indeed a golden age!