Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lessons learned from the Boys of Steel

At the Wisconsin State Reading Association Convention, a middle school teacher from the Neenah Joint School District asked if I’d e-mail answers to questions her students had after doing a book study on Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman.

Two of my favorites:
  1. Would you write a sequel? (Answer: unlikely given that both writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster are deceased.)
  2. You've written books on Superman and Batman. Would you ever write a book on a villain? (Answer: close.)
I was also treated to “Some lessons that we learned from reading Boys of Steel”:
  1. Read a lot.
  2. Writers have to write and research a lot.
  3. Follow your dreams.
  4. Don’t give up.
  5. I will suggest this book to my friends.
  6. Are Jerry and Joe’s families rich from the invention of Superman? (Answer: no, but better off than they were for years.)

No comments: