Tuesday, February 19, 2008

First post: first picture book on first superhero



Superman was the first comic book superhero.

Boys of Steel is the first picture book biography of his creators, Jerry Siegel (the writer) and Joe Shuster (the artist).

It wasn't planned this way, but it's coming out in an anniversary year—Superman debuted in Action Comics #1 in 1938. Yes, timing its release for the 75th would have been cooler, but it's already taken three years from selling the manuscript to making this announcement and I don't want to wait another five.

The book won't be available to the general public until August. However, a select group will be able to buy it two months before that...if you want to be among this select group, stay tuned.

Then again, if you want to be among this select group, you can probably already guess what I'm talking about.

7 comments:

Booksteve said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I've added you to my daily blog rounds. Look forward to seeing waht you have to offer! Good luck, Marc!

Jennifer Thermes said...

Hi Marc-- It's been a while-- glad to see you've jumped in to blogland! The book looks super-- can't wait to see it!

Noel Rappin said...

I can't wait to see this book!

Customer Service Maniac said...

Now I can put a life-size picture of you on my wallpaper, Marc ... ! This sounds like a great book, can't wait to see it. See you at PLA, BEA, ALA - any of those? - Cheers, Dodie

Unknown said...

Hi Marc,

thanks for sending me the link to your shiny new blog.
Looking good!

The new book sounds really fantastic also. I will be sure to secure myself a copy.

All the best from France.

Ian

Kyle said...

Marc-
My boy readers will love this book. I have a guys read book club(12 3rd grade boys) and they are always looking for something new. This will motivate them to write even more comics!

N2GJ Gerry said...

Hi, Marc....You probably know that the current storyline on the nationally-syndicated comic strip, "Funky Winkerbean" by 2008 Pulitzer Prize Finalist Tom Batiuk is about a kid who has recently hired on to write new stories for the "Superman" franchise! Today's strip (21-AUG-2008) sees him riding down "Kimberly Avenue" in "Glenville", (OH), ostensibly to gain inspiration from the spirits that once inhabited that space. I was compelled to search Wikipedia for Jerry Siegel, and that search led me to your blog and your book. Living next door to Princeton, I look forward to your September guest appearance here! Nice to "meet" you. Continued success, Marc.

GJ